Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Terrible Two: this is just the start isn't it?

Whenever other parents ask me how old the wee one is, something odd happens. They smile a wry smile, nod their head and say "Ah yes. Two". And that appears to be the end of the conversation. It's like they know something I don't, and they aren't about to divulge. 

Now I know why. 

When the wee one turned two, it was like someone flipped a switch. My usually chilled out toddler turned into a monster. Don't get me wrong, she's still a happy little girl but some things have totally changed:

1. The word "no" induces tantrums of epic proportions. The face crumples, the tears start, the snot runs and the volume increases. She has also figured out that if mummy and daddy say no, Grandad will say most definitely yes. So now we have to try and train my dad to say no too (though he certainly didn't have any problems saying it when I was wee...). We have to distract her by suggesting something else, and diffuse the situation that way. 

2. Everything is "I Want". I think my gran had a saying, "I want doesn't get". She also used to say "the greetin wean aye wins". Both equally true, but it's so hard not to give in when there's a tantrum on. She has also mastered the sarcastic "pleeeeease" and the big eyed sad face that works ever so well. 

3. She wants to walk everywhere. Which is great, but in a busy shopping centre on a Saturday is not ideal. Once she's out of that pram, there's no going back, and it's hard to push a pram and stop a toddler grabbing everything off the shop shelves at the same time.  I may have to just start ditching the pram and employing the reigns more often. 

4. She will not eat dinner. I cannot get her to eat dinner, or really a meal of any kind. She will snack, but the minute we sit down to a meal she wants a yogurt. The yogurt will be half eaten then she's totally disinterested in anything. Cucumber is the only thing she will definitely eat. I am really hoping this is just a phase. 

5. Everything is now an obstacle that must be conquered. We specifically put our new tv up on the wall because the wee one had a habit of pushing and generally touching the tv when it was on its unit. Now that it's up on the wall she climbs up on the unit to get to the tv. She will climb on, up or over anything. I went through to the kitchen for two minutes, came back through and she had squeezed herself between the back of the sofa and the wall. Nothing is safe in our house anymore! My heart spends more time in my mouth than in my chest. 

I almost long for the days when I could put her in her play pen and she would play happily for hours. I do understand this is just another stage in her development, but man does it have to be so stressful? And I'm pretty sure this is only the start. 

2 comments:

  1. Ok, the good news, this is all VERY normal. The bad news, it gets worse. Sorry. But they equally get more interesting/pride-inducing/loveable in proportion to becoming more agile/talkative/disobedient. Personally I have found training Granny to be tough harder than training the toddler to be good. Thanks so much for sharing with the Monday Parenting Pin It Party. I feel your pain. Have pinned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The terrible 2's lasted until about 5 for my now 9 year old. She is a dream now, but man was she hard for a LONG stretch.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...