Tuesday, 21 January 2014

Dr Christian is Still a Knob

I'm not usually one for name calling, but it's late at night and I'm just catching up with Twitter, and this is a deserved case. 

I came across a few tweets about Dr Christian Jessen. I briefly followed him on twitter a few years ago, but after reading one or two of his tweets I realised that, despite his medical background/status, his opinions regarding lots of medical issues differed drastically from mine. Then he made ridiculous assumptions and sweeping statements about women and rape, so one click of the unfollow button and he was gone! 

Tonight, I find he's been at it again, giving his "medical opinion" on breastfeeding in Closer magazine (It's late and I'm writing his post on my phone, so I can't be bothered to find the original article or tweet, plus I don't want to give him anymore publicity that he so obviously enjoys). He's basically stating that breastfeeding beyond 6 months has no benefit and causes psychological/behavioural problems. 

Sigh. 

I know not everyone can, or wants to breastfeed, but jeezo, he's a DOCTOR! Doctors are supposed to arm people with facts, so they can make an informed choice on whether to breastfeed. Both elements of his statement are not facts. I am actually of the opinion that my 2 year old is as bright and as intelligent as she is BECAUSE she was breastfed for more than 6 months. I would have breastfed her longer if I could have, but 10 months was all we got and it was back to work. 

I see Dr Christian backtracked and stated he was referring to a mother who was still breastfeeding her 4 year old son. So? Who actually cares if a mother breastfeeds her child past the age of 4 or 6 or 8? Surely it's her personal choice and I'm pretty sure her child will self wean eventually. It may not be your personal preference, but who are we to judge others? 

Anyway, I bet if they did a study on mental health in breastfed v bottle fed they would find no differences. Plus I could rant on about how human milk is made for humans and its perfectly natural for us etc, but it is far too late and I'm sleepy. 

His statement has annoyed me. I don't know why, probably just because he's shown his ignorance again and has fired out sweeping statements. I would say he doesn't know why he's talking about,but  that wouldn't be true. He's a medical professional, surely it's his place as a medic to make sure his statements are backed up by evidence? Especially as he is still considered a tv personality. Surely he has a responsibility to provide his viewers with accurate information. 

Part of me thinks he is either misinformed or just plain ignorant on the issues of breastfeeding, the other part thinks he's doing a K*tie H*pkins and deliberately painting himself as the villain of the piece for maximum attention. 

Either way, he's still a knob. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...