Monday, 30 December 2013

Aims For a New Year

I've never been one for new year resolutions. I simply cannot keep them, and they're usually unrealistic and unobrainable anyway. For years I always pledged to lose weight and win the lottery and I'm still the same weight/heavier, and skint by the end of the year. 

So this year, I'm not making any resolutions. Instead, I'm going to set out a list of things I want to achieve by the end of the year. I will probably add more to it, or not be able to achieve most of it, but it gives me something to work towards. 

So by the end of 2014 I would like to:

1. Get the house the way we want it. 

We've been in our house for 4 and a half years and things still aren't the way we want them. I would like a new bathroom, new light fittings in some of the rooms, carpet in our bedroom and the wee ones bedroom, and the front bedroom gutted and decorated. 

2. Go outside more. 

I'm extremely guilty of just parking myself in front of the tv on my days off and not budging til bedtime. I don't want to pass this bad habit on to the wee one, so I really want to get out more. I really need to make a concerted effort to go outside. To the park, with friends, on play dates, whatever it takes to physically leave the house and get fresh air. 

3. Knit more.

I love to knit, I just don't do it now the wee ones around. I can't leave a ball of wool around for 2 minutes without it being unraveled and strewn all over the house. But it doesn't stop me from doing it when she's in bed.  I also want to be a bit more adventurous in knitting.  I seem to stick to easy patterns, as I don't think I can tackle anything more difficult. But I'll never know if I don't try, right? 

4. Get a new job. 

The hospital I work in is moving site in 2015, which means it will be further away and take longer to get there. Although I drive. I don't fancy the extra 15/20 min drive and I'm away from my family for long enough on a 12 hour shift. Plus we're not moving over as a ward or team; we will all be split up, which is a shame because we are an awesome team, and I don't think I'd be happy in the new place.  I discussed my fears with my ward sister, who basically outright said I'd better start looking for a new job.  So I am. I'm taking this opportunity go for for my dream job.  I'm not looking for a promotion or a higher grade.  I always wanted to be a community nurse, since before I started my nursing training, so it just feels like the right time to start applying.  Fingers crossed.

5. Get contact lenses.

I've worn glasses for a while now. I resisted them at first, but now my eye sight is getting a wee bit worse and I wear them full time now.  My glasses fall off my face most of the time, and I'm sick of having to push them up, so I'm going to invest in contact lenses. Also, my sister gets married in August, and I don't want to have to wear my glasses while wearing a lovely bridesmaid dress.  

6. Be a little more vain

I don't wear make up.  I don't fake tan. I'm ginger, pale and Scottish, I was never meant to have a tan. I only ever put make up on if I'm going on a night out, or somewhere special. I'm doing well if I even remember to shave my legs!  I really don't make much of an effort to look "nice". Poor hubby has got to look at my peely wally face, and my minimal effort.  But I'm going to at least try and make more of an effort, because I'm really sick of my colleagues saying I look tired and pale, and I want to look nice sometimes. 

7. Play with the wee one more.

The wee one has a great imagination for only being nearly 2 years old. I want to encourage that, and keep it going, so I want to spend more time playing with her and her toys, and feeding her imagination.

8. Spend more time with hubby. 

Poor hubby gets abandoned when I'm working. The twelve hour shifts mean I'm out from early in the morning til late on in the evening, and when I get home I'm so knackered that it's dinner then off to bed. He does most of the housework and looks after the wee one. But we rarely get time together. Sure, we sit in front of the tv together, or go to the shops etc, but I can't remember the last time we went to the cinema, or out for dinner just the two of us.  Not that either of us want to leave the wee one, but I would be nice to have some "just us time". 

9. Make more lists.

I'm not a great list maker, but my mum is. She finds that if she writes it down and scores it off as age achieves it, it's a great way of getting things done. 

That's all that was on my mind at the moment.  No doubt I will add to this list as the new year comes in, but be sure to check in over the year to see how I'm getting on.  What will your aims for 2014 be?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not do specific resolutions, but have intentions. YUours look great, heres to 2014

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this list, sorry about the work situation but sounds like a fab opportunity to go out and get the job you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your resolutions! Hope you manage to do them all in 2014! :D Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...