Thursday, 7 November 2013

Social Media: a rant.

Ah, social media. Home of the chronic over sharers and attention seekers. 

I admit, this is a ranty post, inspired by recent events on my Facebook timeline. 

I much prefer to take to Twitter these days, and reserve Facebook for posting photos of the wee one for my far away family and friends to see.  Twitter is a better place for conversations, though I must come across as really quite boring and moany, because I never have much to say.  I try not to put too much stuff on Facebook, and I keep my page private, so only those I choose to have on my friends list can see what I want them to see.

Some folk definitely reveal too much on Facebook, like having full blown arguments with their husbands in a conversation thread visible to the entire internet, or posting selfies every five minutes.  I am really sick of seeing certain folks duck face poses every time I scroll down. And those who post every 2 seconds: in coffee shop. drinking coffee. Here's a photo of said coffee. Leaving coffee shop. 

But what really gets on my last nerve is those people who post things like "today was the worst day, ever". They then get a slew of messages with are you ok, what's happened, etc. and then the poster types "I don't want to talk about it". 

Argh! Why? Why post it if you don't want people to ask if you're ok? Keep it to yourself if you don't want to talk about it. 

Then there's those who post cryptic messages, with no explanation, but is clearly a dig at someone. I'm of the opinion that if you've got a grievance with someone, or something to say, say it to their face, don't plaster it on Facebook.  This all leads to speculation. Speculation leads to gossip, where stories grow arms, legs and multiple heads, and before you know it, that bad day you were having has turned into something completely different. 

So, the moral of the story? Say what you mean, mean what you say, and if you don't want to divulge anything, don't post about it! 

1 comment:

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...