Thursday, 8 March 2012

Samantha: An Update

Time is flying by so quickly. Samantha is now 7 weeks old.  Where has the time gone?



It seems like only yesterday I was sitting in the hospital waiting to be induced.  Now our house and lives have been turned upside down, but in the best way :)

It's not been without stress and worry though.  We have those New Parent Nerves.  I'm a natural born, 1st class worrier. For the first few weeks we couldn't sleep for staring at her in her Moses basket, making sure she's still breathing, stirring at every little noise.  We have relaxed a little, but still do those double checks!

For a few weeks, Samantha has struggled to gain weight.  She gained 1oz one week, then didn't gain anything for two weeks.  Because I'm exclusively breastfeeding, I was sure it was my fault, despite feeding her for hours on end, often with very little time in between.  Everything possible problem was running through my head; am I not making enough milk, am I not feeding her often enough?  However this week she has put on 6oz so I am happy with that!!

Breastfeeding, I have to say, is great.  For a while I was worried that I would have to go on to formula if she wasn't gaining weight, but now I can't imagine having to give her a bottle.  I must admit, it was hard at first, and my poor boobs were sore and I was exhausted.  But now that the supply of milk has been established, it's going a treat.  Samantha is a wee guzzler tho!  I've found going to the breastfeeding support group really helpful.  It's great to talk to people who are going through the exact same thing as you are, and they're really nice.  Plus you get to sit and have a cup of coffee and talk with adults for a while!

I breastfed in public for the first time last week, while having lunch with my sister.  I was a little nervous, as I wasn't sure how I'd manage, and I was paranoid people would give me funny looks.  I made sure I was as covered up and as discreet as I could be.  As I was feeding her, an older lady, maybe in her 60s/70s, approached me.  At first I though she was going to ask me to stop, or to cover up more or something.  However, she told me she admired me for being brave enough to do it in public, that she breastfed her kids when they were babies when it wasn't "the done thing" and she admires anyone who does so.  I thought that was so nice, she really made me feel better about it.

Everyone who meets us, tells us that Samantha is so alert.  She is, which is great,(I think she's just nosy!) but she doesn't do sleeping during the day.  Night time is usually fine, but just once, a nap during the day would be lovely!! She just loves to see what's going on around her, especially when there's a camera around!



But when she does sleep, she's really cute:


We have been venturing out of the house now and again, mostly to see grandparents, but we've been meeting up with my friend and her little boy Jack, who's 14 weeks:




So, that's pretty much all our news for now.  We have immunisations to look forward to, (or dread) and the 6 week check with the GP.  Who knows what else the next few weeks will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...