Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Smells and Memories

I have always been fascinated by the way a scent or smell can bring memories flooding back to your brain.  I'm sure it has a fancy, scientific, technical name to describe it, but I have no idea what that is!

Smells have always evoked memories with me, and it happened again tonight when I was painting my toenails. 



You see, the smell of nail varnish reminds me of a holiday to Blackpool with my parents.  It was the first holiday where my sister was old enough to stay home, so it was just my parents and I.  I was about 12 or 13 years old, and was going through a very girly phase.  We spent a week going to markets, and at these markets, was little make up stalls.  And this was where I discovered nail varnish.  Every colour you could think of, there was a pot of nail varnish to match.  My "holiday money" was spent on matte, sparkly, glitter, and metallic nail varnishes, and at one point I had each nail a different colour.  The smell lingered in our hotel room all week.

Other smells bring back memories too.

Tar reminds me of when our primary school playground was dug up and resurfaced, and I got a little bit of melted tar on my school summer dress.  (It was blue and white checked, I loved that dress).

Sure deodorant reminds me of 1st year PE at high school.  Our changing room was small and narrow and almost EVERY girl used the same brand of deodorant.  I hated PE and Sure deodorant just brings back memories of making up excuses to get out of any sort of exercise.  My most popular excuse was that I had a music lesson halfway through class, so I would wander round the building and come back just in time for the end of class. 

The smell of cinnamon reminds me of the Christmas Shoppe in DisneyWorld in Florida. *sigh* Wish I was there right now...

CK Be perfume reminds me of my 16th birthday.  A boy I was kinda "dating" (you can't even call it that, we snogged once or twice) gave me it as a gift.  Still reminds me of then.

Unforgivable perfume reminds me of hubby and I's first holiday together to New York in 2007. It was the only perfume I wore the whole time we were there, and it just reminds me of what a great time we had.  Planning to go back for my 30th birthday.  We've only been on two holiday's together, the other being our honeymoon last year.


So what smells bring back memories for you?

1 comment:

  1. I always like a keen knitter and have warded you a Liebster Blog, smiles.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...