Saturday, 13 November 2010

Mo-vember: A very worthy cause!



No I'm not growing a moustache!!  I've just donated some money to those taking part in Mo-vember for the Prostate Cancer Charity.


They are an amazing charity who provide one to one support, support groups, information and research to help men suffering from prostate cancer.



Over 36000 men in the UK are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year, and a few years ago my Dad was one of them.  Thanks to my Mum's eagle eye, she spotted the signs and symptoms, and checked his blood (she's a nurse).  She told him she was checking his thyroid, as we were going on holiday as a family the next week, and she didn't want to worry him, or me and my sister.  He was officially diagnosed when we came home.

He underwent radiotherapy and hormone therapy, and is now on the mend.  It was a very stressful time for Dad and the rest of the family, especially as he was only in his late 50's when he was diagnosed.  He had to retire on grounds of ill health at 58. 

He joined one of the support groups, when he was diagnosed, and is now a volunteer for the Charity.  Thanks to their support, my Dad is well equipped to face life head on again, proving that there is life after cancer.  He volunteers at information stands, and events held by the charity, helping other men through their journey and raising awareness of the signs and symptoms of prostate cancer. 

Just last month he was invited, along with other volunteers, to Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh for a reception honoring the volunteers and the Charity for all their hard work.

I'm lucky to still have my Dad around, and still in reasonably good health. Without the research, information and support the Charity give, others may not be so lucky.

 Please donate to them here.  It's a very worthy cause.


And boys, be sure to be on the lookout for signs and symptoms, you can find them here: Prostate Cancer: Signs and Symptoms.

Thank You!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info, I always worry about the men in my life not looking after themselves.
    Knitting anything these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment MH. I think it's good to be armed with info, just to keep in the back of your head.

    Yeah still knitting. I'm currently working on a Cardigan. Have done a couple posts about it. Was night shift at work this week so not had much time to work on it!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment after the beep....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...